Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Up close & personal

4th July

I'm nuts about cars. Especially fast and furious super cars.. That probably explains why I'm willing to spend my weekends under the hot sun shooting all kind of motorsports stuffs.

On this weekend, Mercedes held their Driving Experience event at the Sepang track. Originally I had wanted to give it a miss especially since I had covered it just a few months back. But my contact told me that a very special "guest" will be there and I shouldn't miss it..

That special "guest" turned out to be the new supercar from Mercedes Benz: The SLS AMG...
A V8, 6208cc, 572hp beauty capable of accelerating from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.8 seconds, and can reach an electronically limited top speed of 317 km/h. To own one, just pay RM1,999,999, without insurance.


The SLS AMG replaced the SLR Mclaren as it's flagship supercar and take it's design cues from the legendary 300SL Gullwing.


It retains the familiar wing doors that will swing open upwards on gas struts. The new car has a long bonnet, the passenger compartment is close to the rear axle and the rear of the car is short. An interesting fact about the doors: in case of a roll-over, the doors can be fully detached to allow the occupants to leave the vehicle.




With it's RM2 million price tag, you can be sure the interior will be top notch. Lucky owner will enjoy creature comforts like heated seat, 6 disc DVD changer, Bang & Olufsen sound system, 11 speakers, auto climate and all the other bells and whistles..


After the rain had stop, the car was driven out onto the main straight for some photo session. On the track, with the pit wall as backdrop, this car looked magnificent.






Once the photo session was over, the car was fired up. The growl of the V8 engine was stunning..


I didn't get to ride in it and I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford it anytime soon.. so the next best thing was to take a photo..

No comments:

Post a Comment